Today's Savvy Parents- How Did We Survive??

I remember growing up, none of the safety measures for kids we have in place today existed. I chewed on painted products, never wore a seatbelt, and was left alone for over an hour at a time in a room with no cover over the electric socket. How did I make it to 32?!

I am a protective mom. I am a very protective mom, a total safety nut. I have non-toxic guards on the rails of little man's crib, covers over everything, and I even removed all cleaning products that could be potentially harmful if accidentally ingested from my home. I once got mad at my husband for not installing the shoulder height of little man's car seat right at his shoulders ("He can DIE if it's not done exactly right" I recall yelling, much to my embarassment today as I recall it).
My poor husband, who loves little man more than life itself, was shamed into silence for his error. I've since made it up to him (there is no better dad, and I need to loosen up because I make plenty of mistakes myself!) but overall, I feel today us parents are a lot more protective than we used to be, and I have to admit it, I like it.

My mom and mother in law think we are nutters, but we still insist people wash their hands if they want to stroke little man's face, we still buy him organic toys to chew on, and we still won't let him play on the concrete outside (not yet anyway). My parents are amused at our struggles. They never bolted a cabinet, sped down the street with us bouncing around in the car (car seats were basically unheard of), and keep plastic toys with small parts away from us? But then what would we play with? All toys has small plastic parts when we were growing up!

They even laughed at me when I cried over little man's first boo boo (it hurt me more than anyone, I think, and I keep going over it in my head, thinking how I could have prevented it, how I could have been faster to catch him, how I should never have put him down in the first place). Yep, I'm a safety nut. I'm getting a teeny bit more lenient in some ways as time goes on, but since little man is now crawling around, the truth is I'm getting stricter in other ways.

Evenflo has just released the Momentum 65 DLX Convertible Car Seat, with features that help make safety, installation and use as easy as possible for parents. Evenflo and JuiceBoxJungle sponsored me to write this post, and talk about what child safety means to me and my family.

Comments