My Husband- The Baby Whisperer

Lately little man has been taking less naps throughout the day. This is fine, as all babies change in many ways, especially in sleeping patterns, during the first year. There are times however when he is so exhausted, rubbing his eyes, falling asleep and immediately snapping awake again, that I feel sorry I can't help him ease into a small nap. He seems to worry he is going to miss something, or is very interested in the environment, and despite his body wanting to sleep, he fights it, gum and nail.

At these times I feel rather helpless. Rocking him doesn't do anything, playing with him makes him more tired and more desirous of staying awake, putting him in the crib and leaving him just results in tears (and I can't do that to him). A couple of times I felt powerless, seeing him fighting sleep, and also miserable because he needs it.

Enter: my husband, who seems to have magical powers I'm very jealous of. He will hold our baby, gently rock him, whisper in his ear "shhh" or something similar over and over, and very quickly our son will konk out. It's the most unbelievable thing. And if I try to take my sweetly sleeping son away to cuddle him while he's napping, he knows daddy isn't holding him anymore and he starts to fuss, often wakes up, and looks very betrayed!

Comments

  1. Been here and sometimes there are days where only the Hubs can get our little girl asleep. But I keep trying different things and we're back in a groove that she falls asleep for any of now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your insight about him not wanting to miss anything despite being tired (over-tired). I think that is spot on!

    ReplyDelete
  3. i wish i could help...
    LONG story, but my son is 16 months and he STILL will not sleep all night... and nap time is always so short... i feel your pain.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good hubby, just keep holding your baby.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lol, lfh.

    He is soo cute when sleeping, I want to cuddle him, but he always wakes up with me *shrug*

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment