It's Greek To Us!

I love to travel, and have always been fascinated by the different beautiful languages I hear people speak. The language I would most like to become fluent with as a second language has always been Greek, for many reasons. In addition to having a Greek family background, I found the Greek that I can speak has helped me enormously in school (especially my science classes), and I would love for my son to grow up able to speak a second language. For these reason, as a family, we chose to learn to speak Greek, and are going to (as a family) make this a long-term project. My all American husband is going to be a total beginner, and while I have a basic grasp of the language, my grammar could use a lot of work and I could sure expand my Greek vocabulary.

As we progress, I plan to write about what we learn, and I also plan to study the Hellenic culture and write about that. If anyone is interested in learning a second language, you can learn more about Papaloizos (the company I am working with to study Greek) by visiting their site. I received our first set of books about a month ago (first grade primer) and am having a great time learning the new alphabet.

For those of you who are still undecided about a second language, here are some great reasons why Greek is a fabulous choice:

* We already use it more than we realize- it's the root of many words (30%) in the English language, and the basis of our alphabet.
* Like Russian, Chinese, and various other languages, Greek has its own alphabet, making it more challenging to master, which in itself is something to be proud of. Learning a new language and alphabet expands the mind and stretches its ability to think conceptually and in symbols.
* It's the language of many historical documents, including the New Testament, the works of many philosophers and poets, and famous literary works.
* The Hellenic culture is rich and exciting, with an amazing history. Learning Greek tends to open doors to also learn more about this incredible culture and their people.
* Greece is the birthplace of the Olympic Games, a major international event that promotes goodwill, friendship, and collaboration among nations. Greece also stands at the geopolitical crossroads of East and West, Southern and Eastern Europe, the Balkans, and the Mediterranean, thus providing employment opportunities in multiple areas such as commerce, business, finance, etc.
* Greece is the cradle of Western civilization and has made substantial artistic, scientific, philosophical, political, ethical, and culinary contributions. Studying and understanding Greek culture provides a solid foundation in comprehending the history and development of Western civilization.
* Children who learn Greek have a leg up in school, and is especially valuable for those who plan to enter the legal, medical and science professions, particularly anatomy, anthropology, astronomy, biology, botany, chemistry, entomology, mathematics, psychology, and zoology.
* Studying Greek improves SAT scores! It certainly helped me when I took classes such as medical terminology. If your child is going to learn a second language, it would be great if it is one that encourages and aids them to be more successful in a worthy career.
* Greece is a beautiful country to visit, and having the ability to communicate with the locals is not only appreciated, but will make the adventure of travelling there all the more thrilling.

For more information on Papaloizos, visit their site and take a look around. Learning a language with your child is a terrific way to spend time together, learn together, bond, and encourage eachother.

Comments

  1. My mom's first language was Greek and she always said how much it helped her in school. Unfortunately, it wasn't passed on to me. I have a repretoire of maybe 5-6 words lol. At least being able to recognize the letters would've helped me a TON when I travelled there. That's great that you and your husband are studying it together. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My parents speak fluent Greek ( my background is 100% Greek)...unfortunately it wasn't spoken to my brother or I growing up so we have a very limited grasp on it. From the time my nephew was born 7 years ago I urged my parents to speak Greek to him as often as possible. Infants and toddlers minds are like little sponges and research has shown that it is the best time for children to learn languages. They have the ability to grasp many languages when spoken to them regularly. I would encourage you to have anyone in your family that speaks fluent Greek (parents? grandparents? aunts/uncles?) that sees your little man on a regular basis to urge them to speak only Greek to him. He will learn faster than you and your hubby!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Proud to be Greek and lucky for my little children to speak fluently the Greek language!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Ashley. It helped me a lot too. I took lots of science classes, medical terminology, etc and it made life much easier.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kristen, I ask papou to speak to him in Greek all the time...and of course, we plan to study these lessons as a family, and my husband is learning little by little.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Traveler, that is wonderful! It will help them immensely in their life, and is just such a wonderful, rich language to know!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment