Penelope's Thanksgiving Day Pumpkin Pie

Thanksgiving is one of my favorite holidays. I love getting together with family, spending time together indoors in a cozy, warm home while the fall air outside gets crisper and chillier as it creeps toward winter. The sights and smells and tastes of Thanksgiving are incredible...spicy cinammon, delicious ciders, crackling fireplaces, golden falling leaves, nutmeg sprikled on tea, chestnuts in the delicious homemade stuffing, sweet pumpkin pies, sugary cranberries, and of course the turkey.

Thanksgiving Turkey

I have never hosted a Thanksgiving dinner. My home is too tiny for my big family, but I very much look forward to the day when it will be my turn to have everyone over. Until then, I like to bring something to the dinner I attend, and one of my favorite dishes is my pumpkin pie...I've been making it for years, and it's become a family favorite.

Start with the crust. It's always best (and tastier) to make from scratch, but if you don't have time to make it, buy a sweet dough crust (one is fine, I do not put a top layer of crust on the pie). If you make crusts at home, chill the dough for one day before placing it into the pan. With either one, leave a 1/2 trim over the edge to fold and flute later.

For the pumpkin filling, you can either buy it in a can, or use fresh pumpkin.

Penelope's Pumpkin Pie

Ingredients:

1 1/2 cups pumpkin (canned or fresh)
1 sweet dough crust
2 eggs
2 eggs yolks
2/3 cup sugar
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp ground cinammon
1/4 tsp ground ginger
1/4 tsp grated nutmeg
1 1/4 cup light cream (or half and half)

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Put all of pumpkin in a bowl and whisk in eggs and egg yolk. Whisk in remaining ingredients in order listed, and pour the entire filling into the pie crust. Fold in the edge of the crust and flute with a fork or your fingers. Bake for one hour on the lower rack (until filling is set). Cool pie on rack, then put in refrigerator overnight.

If you have high cholesteral, you can use all egg whites, but it's a pretty small amount of eggs in the total pie (serves about eight) so I prefer to follow my recipe as given when possible (depending on the recipient of the pie).

The pie not only tastes delicious, but your kitchen will smell great while making it and for a while after.

Comments

  1. Mmmm...thank you. Your lovely description of the season, as well as the pie recipe sounded absolutely delicious!

    Jenn @ rookno17.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your recipe sounds delicious! I tried to make pie crust once. Making it was super easy but rolling it out was a different story! Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just stopping to say hello !! and your recipe sounds so good my daughter has been bugging for a homemade pumpkin pie she wants to make one this year !! may have to use your recipe :) Thanks for sharing ~Hugs

    ReplyDelete
  4. Crissy, it is pretty hard to make some pie crusts...luckily, there are some natural and/or organic ready made ones that can be purchased. I tried making a flaky dough once, and it came out cook, but it took over an HOUR to make! I didn't bother trying a second time :) The pie was eaten too quickly to make it worthwhile.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds awesome! I have never made a pumpkin pie. It would be nice to try it out. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yummy, nummy! Your recipe sounds divine :) Spiced pumpkin in any form is my favorite fall scent/flavor!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh geez you've got me in the mood now I need to go to the store and buy the ingredients to make this. Thanks for sharing..
    Stopping in on SITS sharefest!

    ReplyDelete
  8. oh pumpkin pie hubby would luv this with some cool whip

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sounds so good!

    I too would love to host Thanksgiving but our house is too small for my large family. One day, we'll both be cooking it, hopefully.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment