I Don't Want To Be Dry Toast

I've always been a woman who treated herself when she wanted to, whether it be to a piece of gourmet chocolate while shopping to a fabulous cruise for some rest and relaxation. But I was single, and working, and could afford all that. Once I had a baby, everything changed. Expenses mounted, and free time was non-existant. I was lucky if I slept four hours a night, and the days of hair salon visits and leisurely lunches with friends were over.

It's hard to explain to someone who has never had a baby, or to a husband for that matter, what exactly happens. Unless you go through the exhaustion of day after day lack of sleep, you don't understand what sleep deprivation does. My husband is a great guy and a big help, but he sleeps at night. He doesn't get up when little man cries. He still goes to the gym and goes to work, spends time around other adults, and has hobbies or activities that help him destress a bit. I don't have the time for any of that anymore.

Well, no more. Whatever it takes, I've decided that I'm tired of being tired. I have a short fuse these days and find myself snapping at people over small things, and that really isn't fair to anyone (especially not my sweet little bunchkin- it's not his fault). I decided to squeeze our budget as much as I can to find the money to either hire a housekeeper once a week, or to get my hair cut and colored more regularly, or to enjoy lunch with a friend. I plan to start asking grandma and husband to watch little man sometimes. No, I won't ask. I plan to tell my husband he is going to watch our son while I go out for a few hours (that's what he does after all..."Hey, hon, I'm heading to the gym for an hour" and strolls out the door).

I need some rest, I need some time that I spend with adults, I need to exercise, I need some new clothes! Little man is almost a year old, and very well-behaved, so I'm even happy to take him along when I go out, as long as someone can watch him so I can nap sometimes. I'm not going to put myself last anymore though. I have two men in my home, they can manage without me for a bit while I read a book or do something for myself. If I'm always on edge, always rushed, always wired and grumpy, what good will I be to anyone?

I've been feeling like a piece of dry toast, and it's time to focus on me, at least for a little bit, once in a while. I'm looking forward to it!

Comments