Day Six ♥ World Breastfeeding Week ♥ Breastfeeding is Funny!





Comments

  1. Wow. You know, I was a HUGE breastfeeding snob when I was pregnant. I knew I was going to b/f for at least one year, and I felt women who didn't breastfeed didn't "get" that it was the most beneficial thing for their baby. I mean, why would anyone NOT want to give their child the best?

    Well...

    I had my son. And my body wouldn't work right. I had a hard enough time staying pregnant (5 losses), and once I actually had a baby, my body rebelled.... again.

    My son latched like a champ and ate like a hog but I just couldn't make enough milk for him. I had the help of my Doctor, his midwife in the practice and lactation consultants, consulted with pharmacists about products and even roped in my son's pediatrician for help and education. I had the books, and I took the special classes prior to giving birth.

    No matter what I did, my supply dwindled. I tried the herbs, everything.

    I breastfed him until he turned away from my breast (a very devastating moment) and pumped until the day I literally couldn't get a drop. I did this all day and all night every day I possibly could.

    I totally GET that b/f is best. I get it. However, when I see comics like the ones above, I get very offended. I tried my best and I felt like a failure, it was SUCH a painful emotional time. I felt like my body was denying my own son food.

    So I just wanted to tell you that sometimes it truly can't happen. And that's okay. And sometimes? Sometimes people CHOOSE not to and that is okay too.

    I find this just WAY too judgemental.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Em, I had a hard time in the beginning too (I had mastitis)...I think probably most women do.

    I actually felt the comic about the moms making excuses was harsh too, except that many women who never try say those things, including some good friends of mine, and it was sort of tongue in cheek, directed at them to make them laugh. It wasn't intended to hurt someone who really had a difficult time of it.

    If a woman doesn't want to breastfeed (just simple doesn't feel like it), to me it's a shame, but not my business, so really she doesn't even have to have one of those excuses ready. Sorry I hurt someone who read this though :( not my intention at all.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment