Potty Mouth

I recently watched a YouTube commercial by Evenflo that is not airing anywhere, as it was deemed too controversial and shocking on further consideration by Evenflo and JBJ. I didn't expect to be shocked, but I was! There were multiple ads with very different themes being tested out, so this is not typical of Evenflo advertising. I found the commercial funny, but as a skit, not as a commercial that is suitable to advertise products for children safety. This particular ad is probably not suited for a family audience (so good call, Evenflo and Juice Box Jungle!) but if you would like a laugh, you can play the video below when your children are not in the room. The cuss words have been bleeped out.



It would not have been a good idea for Juice Box Jungle to run these ads because many of the sites it runs on (like this one) are family friendly so that moms don't have to worry about their kids seeing/hearing anything they might find offensive, and the Evenflo brand name is respectable, not generally linked to this kind of humor. Some would even find the idea of a child with a potty mouth not that amusing. Since I plan to raise little ladies and gentlemen, I am going to be super careful what I say around them, and was kind of icked out by the mom in this ad (her child may not understand what mom is saying, but, um, her husband can...not very feminine or genteel on her part). I don't like hearing men use foul language either, for that matter, and have to slap hubby sometimes when a word I wouldn't want little man to use slips out (little man is learning his first words, like the cute baby in the ad...don't want any "consonant confusion"!)

What are your thoughts?

Evenflo has just released the Momentum 65 DLX Convertible Car Seat, with features that help make safety, installation and use as easy as possible for parents. Evenflo andJuiceBoxJungle sponsored me to write this post.

Comments

  1. Wow, not much more to say than that! I think a lot of moms, unfortunately, can relate to that. Yes, I've been there and am not proud of it, but to make a commercial, with this product, nah!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Are you serious? That was really rude and not at all family friendly or polite. I totally agree with you. Almost makes me feel bad that I own an Evenflo Triumph Advance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have the Triumph too! (I really like it, it's in my husband's car and he loves how easy to adjust it is)

    I'm guessing whoever wrote and produced that commercial thought it would be amusing, and smarter PR people at the companies realized it wasn't something that would ring true with most parents, and would even offend.

    Most people actually watch their language more after having a child. A swear word might slip once in a while by accident, but the mom in this ad really let them fly! It probably would have been funnier if she said it once and the child repeated it just by hearing it once, and the mom was sheepish while saying "consonant confusion"...that is actually what I expected to see originally.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yikes! That's all I have to say!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yikes that is a horrible commercial. Offensive! scg00387 at yahoo dot com

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment