Current Breastfeeding Guidelines

The American Academy of Pediatrics had revised its recommendations regarding breastfeeding guidelines a few years ago, and it's very different than previous guidelines in two ways. First, accodring to current breastfeeding guidelines, it is recommended that breastfeeding take place for six months exclusively
(with solids not being introduced during this time), and then continued up to a year or more alongside solids. Second, the AAP recommends that moms and babies sleep near eachother to help facilitate breastfeeding. This is in opposition to other popular theories that promote putting baby in a separate room.

The guidelines also suggest that adoptive mothers induce lactation (various methods to do so) and offers some of the great benefits of breastfeeding for babies, including protection against sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS), diabetes, obesity and asthma, among others, and for mom, such as reducing a mother's risk of ovarian and breast cancer, and possibly a decreased risk of hip fractures and osteoporosis in the postmenopausal period.

I'm glad I came across this information, because I was under the impression that babies are better off in a separate bedroom, but this may be better only for parents who want a full night's sleep (a desire I can fully understand). I worried I was harming little man by keeping his crib in my bedroom. I just need more success with feeding him solids (he has started to reject them and wants to nurse exclusively again for some reason).

Comments

  1. I am sure hoping that breastfeeding works out better for us this time around, I will try keeping baby in our room, hoping that he doesn't snore as loud as his brother did!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment