The Case of the Disappearing Naps & SuperYards

Little man has been taking a holiday from his regularly scheduled napping program. Instead of taking four naps a day, he suddenly takes two naps only, for a couple of hours each.
He has also been steadily becoming more regular for sleep and nap times- they occur at almost the same time daily. I've actually been enjoying the regularity of his sleep/wake cycle, but try to get dad or grandpa to work with it...not happening. If little man even yawns, or wants to be held while you stand up longer than they want to hold him while standing up, they are ready to lull him to sleep, and of course I'm the one who has to deal with a baby still up at 1 am as a result.

How much sleep is a baby supposed to have a day? I hope with just two naps little man is getting enough. I wouldn't mind if he began having another nap or two a day, I'm kind of missing the coffee break, and he is becoming more and more independant and curious- he LOVES the DVD player. I put a shield in front of it that is magnetized in place, and he figured out how to slide it off, while I sat there and watched in awe. Babies are smart! Him taking less naps means I have to be more alert. I decided to look into getting a Play Area or Superyard, which we can use in our living room to give him freedom and still keep him safe. That one I linked to looks affordable and is well rated, so will likely be our choice (and I'll report on how well it works for us too as soon as we try it out).

I'd love to post a photo of little man today, but I'm on my new computer and don't have any photos on here yet!

Comments

  1. It was always an adjustment for me when they slept less and began expanding their world to parts unknown...keep the bathroom doors shut!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It does sound like time for a play pen for him to play in. Some place safe for him to be put when the adults don't want to keep holding him.
    If he's tired he'll fall asleep in there, if not he'll be playing if you keep him stimulated and switch his toys around daily. I'd only give him up to three toys a day in the playpen and then switch them out to something else the next day. You could rotate them every two or three days back and forth. If you do that you'll also soon start to see which ones are his favorite toys, so you can make sure each day he has one favorite toy in the playpen with him and then others that are less favorite but still stimulating.

    ReplyDelete
  3. It is always so hard when they switch their sleep routines around you! Best of luck my friend!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment