Make Baby Food At Home

Apple Puree Baby FoodLittle man is ready for his first foods, as he is turning six months old soon and the pediatrician has given the go ahead for solids at his six month birthday. We spoke to other parents who make baby food at home, and this is apparently a very easy thing to do. I was given a great first recipe to share (we'll let you know how it goes after we try it with little man):

First Foods Delicious Apple Puree

Ingredients:
6 medium sized apples
1/2 cup water

Directions:
1. Wash, peel and core apples. Cut into small slices.
2. Place apples in a saucepan with water, and gently boil until very tender.
3. Remove apples and juice/water combination and blend together using a blender, baby food processor, or manually until very smooth.
4. Spoon puree into an ice cube tray and cover. Freeze overnight until use, or remove cubes and store in a freezer bag up to two months.

This was really easy to make, and apples are not only very nutricious and full of fiber, but they taste great. Making it was the easy part, we are waiting now for his next week's pediatrician appointment (we made it on his birthday) to try it out, along with his first spoon and tray set, and on his cute little, never-used-for-eating Sesame Street high chair.

The recipe as is makes about 24 one ounce servings.

Comments

  1. Isn't it just so nice to know exactly what goes into your baby's food? :) I have a Magic Bullet I bought used from a friend that I made some of my son's first purees with. I wish I'd had it with my daughter too! But this little bun is due in September so if my well-loved 2nd-hand Magic Bullet is still going strong when she's old enough for solids I'll be using it again!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wanting to know exactly what is in my baby's food is the main benefit of making your own baby food...too many recalls of manufactured items! Baby's are too precious to risk.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loveed making LM's food too! You should try this meal from my site...http://pinknothings.blogspot.com/2009/09/eww-gucky.html
    It gives your child a fruit, veggie and meat all in one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I made and still make food for my little guy. I found Super Baby Food by Ruth Yaron to be an extremely helpful book. -Shonda @ Milk N' Honey www.milknhoneylearnandgrow.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pink Nothings, I'll check it out, thank you for the tip...I'm starting slow with him, now that I got the go ahead.

    Shonda, thanks, I'll check that book out!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment