A Retro, 1950's Kind Of Family

Retro family photo
In my house, it's the 1950's. At least, that is what my husband likes to say, because we are both old-fashioned in many ways. He was recently asked by a colleague, who learned he has a newborn son, if he "was still with the baby's mom". My husband was taken aback, said he was married, and would not have had children if not married. My husband proudly told him we are an old-fashioned, retro kind of couple, with mom taking time off to watch the babies while dad goes to work to support the family,

This colleague was surprised~ at 28 years old. Let me repeat that...a 28 year old man was surprised to hear that another man in his late 20's would only have children within marriage. Another co-worker standing nearby, a woman who thinks marriage is outdated, was not very impressed. She refers to the man she had children with but never married as "the father of my children". Many of his co-workers, in fact, found it hard to believe I chose to stop working and asked him why he wouldn't let me work. Neither his female or male co-workers can believe a woman today would want to stay home with her baby.

I remember growing up, in elementary school, and hearing about a random fellow student here and there having divorced parents. By the time I reached junior high school, at least half the students came from homes affected by divorce, and a few years later, it was the majority. I was speaking to a gentleman in college once about my parents going on vacation. He asked which of my parents had remarried, and was downright shocked when I told him neither, my parents were still married to eachother. He did not have any friends or acquaintences who came from homes that were still intact- all were from broken homes or had parents that never married.

So what happened here? Sure, it's a free country, and women have the freedom, opportunities, and often money to live how they want and make the choices they want. I'm just a bit confused as to when it became expected that women would choose to stay as far away from home as possible, and when it became the norm that women are either divorced, or would prefer not to marry and just have children on their own.

I'm not sure if it's because of the area I live in, or because magazines seem to be showcasing celebrities who are having extensive families without marriage, or because I'm still shocked when I learned that for the first time more children in the US are being born to women who are single than women who are married, but it seems to me that there has been a huge sociological shift that took place in less than two generations. I'm still surprised at the surprise of others who consider us outdated.

So, here we are- a retro, old-fashioned family :) My husband likes to work, and he pays our bills. I like to stay home and look at my baby smile all day. I can see how this would be boring for some, but it's not for me. I like to be home when my husband returns from work, holding our son up and saying "Daddy's home!" The day has come when women like me are looked at quizzically by most. I just hope the day doesn't come when women like me are looked down on. I'd like my future daughters to feel as free as I do to make the choices they feel are best for them.

Comments

  1. I wish families like yours and ours weren't such an oddity these days! My parents and my in-laws have celebrated their 40th anniversaries.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great post! I am a stay at home mom as well, married. My parents have been married 32 years and my grandparents have been married 65 years this year. I enjoy staying at home, although, there are days when I want to pull my hair out... but I wouldn't have it any other way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I totally agree! I think it's a shame when people see SAHMs as failures in some capacity ... like we were "too lazy" to get a "real job" or something. (As if being a full-time mom and housekeeper ISN'T a real job!) I too think it's sad that this is now outside the norm.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your post mirrors my thoughts in every way! What is wrong with loving to have a "boring and humble" life. I love living low key, spending time with my son...no matter how much education I have. I like taking care of my home and providing love and support for both men in my life! So what if it makes us old fashioned, well said!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I remember as a kid thinking it was normal for moms to work. In middle school I had a good friend who's mom stayed home. That seemed so different to me and I knew that was what I wanted to do- stay home and raise my children (yes, I was dreaming of kids even as a 13 year old).

    It does seem odd now that the "norm" is shifting to couples living together and raising children outside of marriage. With the exception of friends from church, most people I meet live with their boyfriend/girlfriend before deciding to get married.

    Things are changing.

    By the way- congrats on getting to review the Moby Wrap! I would like to get a stretchy wrap for my new baby too. It will probably only work for my baby until 4 months or so. I hear that Ergo is a great carrier for the bigger sizes though. You'll have to let me know what you think of Ergo if you try one out sometime.

    ReplyDelete
  6. We are so that family too. I have always wanted to be a stay at home mom and wife. That is the highest job in my opinion. God designed us for this purpose. Maybe if more women had done this kids wouldn't be in the shape they are now and families would be more intact and there would be more jobs for men to be able to take care of their families so it wouldn't take two incomes. I think that women's lib was the downfall of the family unit as it is supposed to be. With that said I also understand sometimes it is a necessity for a woman to work and that is fine. I am thinking of entering school myself but my child will still come first and the career will be able to be done at home. I wish it was like the 50's for real.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was a SAHM for 15 yrs and LOVED it. Even now woking part time, is hard for me, even tho I enjoy my job. I miss being in my kids classrooms and being so involved. I went to work out of the sheer necessity! For all those years I kept being told I needed to finish my degree and get a high paying job. Never realized that MAYBE I was created to be a SAHM!! Maybe that was the job I was created to do!! Very thankful I was able to do it for 15 yrs. Wish it had a retirement plan. *grin* Blessings on your family!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I will never look down on you. I think what you are doing is great and wonderful.
    I had to work when my husband (who was divorced and had full custody of his son) were first married. It was necessary to dig us out of student loan debt, his credit cards (that were run up by his first wife) and to be able to get us into a home. Now, however I am home full-time. I love it. It does hurt us financially, but even though there are things we need, not want, actually need, we simply do without.
    My husband likes me home when he gets home. He likes having a home cooked meal ready for him. He likes that I don't have to sleep when he's home so I can get ready to go to work on a different shift than his. I think it's better for the kids too, if mom can be there when they get home from school, or to even home school their kids when possible.
    Anyone who says being a housewife and mother isn't work is nuts. Housewife's are the ones who usually help at school, or are the brownie or cub scout leaders too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. accidentally deleted this great comment by sammy:

    As a woman in her mid-20s who is without kids and not even married (yet) I loved this post! My parents will celebrate their 29th anniversary this year and I really think growing up that way allows helps you become a better person. I know when I'm married and the time is right, I want to be that SAHM. I commend you for being that '50s family and glad there are still a lot of people with that mindset! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow, I didn't know things had gotten that bad. I know a lot of single moms and living together but not married couples, but I didn't realize that was more common than being married now. :( It makes me sad for the kids, because I think marriage gives people more of a commitment and a reason to work things out when it gets hard, and is just more stable for the children.

    I also don't understand why there is so much disbelief and even animosity towards women that want to stay home and raise their children. I was actually further on my "career track" and making more money than my husband when I found out I was pregnant, but it was a no-brainer for me. I didn't see the point of having children if I wasn't there to raise them, and I feel like a parent will almost always be the best caregiver, regardless of how expensive or qualified a nanny or daycare may be.

    Some of my coworkers and our friends also seem to think he was making me give up work, but it was totally my decision. I think he'd rather have the extra income and fun money really, but I just don't want to miss watching my son grow up and knowing I cared for him the very best I could. I think it's crazy that people give more respect to women that teach and care for other people's children than those who choose to stay home and give their own families the best.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ruth, I agree...,my parents celebrated their 32nd, my grandparents, one set their 50th, and the other made it to 70 years married before my grandfather died.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Little Miss, I know it :)

    Rita, I used to work full-time, and go to school, and being a MOM is much more work! (At least, if you are spending lots of time with your children...if you have others taking care of them, it's not as much work at all)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment