Julie/Julia Movie Review- Guest Post

I went to see it! It is AWESOME!!!! The theatre was mainly filled with women, and a few husbands sprinkled here and there. I was surprised to see so many people.

The movie was splendid. Julia Child's husband [played by Stanley Tucci] was splendid. Meryl Streep as Julia Child was incredible. It is true---she truly embodies the spirit of the character she plays. Just amazing facial expressions! So cute and funny. Lot's of laughter in the audience.

A positive and touching ending. I left the theatre wiping tears. (I'm too sensitive). But that's only moi.

Anyone who loves cooking will love this movie.

The reason I love this movie is how inspiring it is for women who cook in the home, and for marriages. It supports without any obvious lecturing how a good man will behave lovingly and supportively towards his wife, how a childless married woman can do something with her life that is meaningful to herself and at the same time bless her husband and her friends.

I truly admire women who make an effort to make fabulous meals from scratch for their man/family, and enjoy it. It shows to their friends something in their character that is inspiring.

"When a woman permits personal disregard, men react with even more negligence." ~quote from Jade Brode book.

This is related to what I saw in the movie Julie/Julia, as an example of what to do. Very personally inspiring. Julie (played by Amy Adams) worked real hard on her goal of self-discipline. She always had a problem starting something and never finishing, and was very unhappy with herself and her life. Working on herself, with discipline, reaped multitudinous rewards in her personal life, in her relationship with hubby, and with success in the outside world.

Streep believed in order to understand who Julia Child was, one had to see what it was like to be a woman her size in the 1940s and 50s, especially in France. One of Julia Child's editors described her to Ephron as "a Christmas tree – she was huge and twinkled. She looked nothing like anyone."

Streep was given her large stature in the movie using techniques like filming her in a miniature kitchen.

Meryl: I just really love the story of these two women looking for their calling. I just thought it was extremely touching and also delicately written, not hammered on the head. That’s so hard to find. It’s hard to find beautiful subtly written stories. It’s a hopeful story....I never ate off set. Never never never. There was no need.

Interviewer's Q: A friend wanted me to ask if working on this film made you more appreciative of the men in your life, but it sounds like you already are! I mean you guys were working with characters that loved you so thoroughly and that was so special to see.


Meryl: What’s unusual is that you never see that. All the sustaining things, all the supporting things, just the fact that someone loves you even when you’re a brat. Even when you’re completely boring!

It’s such a valuable part of many women’s lives, and men’s lives, too. It’s kind of like a bath of pleasure to have that! I would look at Stanley Tucci (as Julia’s husband Paul) and just the way he looked at me made me feel beautiful! Then I’d go back to my dressing room, look in the mirror and think “Wow, I really believed him”. It was really wonderful.


[Review written by guest blogger Miss Julianna]

Comments

  1. A movie buff friend highly recommended this movie to me. After reading this, I'm even more looking forward to watching this film. :) TFS.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cannot wait to see this movie! I love cooking and Meryl Streep and this is so up my alley.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is one movie I really want to go to see. Now I want to see it more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Penelope! Thanks for visiting our blog! Heehee, I adore polka dots! & Marilyn Monroe so thank you for the comments! Twitter for me is addictive! I love twittering about what bath and body goodies we're cooking up at MB. :) Stop by anytime you want to say hi on our blog or twitter. Have a great day!

    That sounds like a GREAT movie! I have so got to watch it. :) Love Julia Child.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I recently saw this movie with my husband, and we both LOVED it! I also just won the book in a giveaway, so I will get to read it too! (I know... it's a little backwards, but oh well!). ;)

    Thanks for stopping by my blog yesterday! :) Have a great day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Can't WAIT to see the movie. I hear nothing except good things about it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment