Baby Sleeping Safety


I've been spending time lately looking into great products for a baby's nursery...mainly *safe*, great products. It's a lot of fun buying cute baby stuff, and as I research more and more (I research everything), I am learning more and more about safety for babies also.

I'm concerned about lots of thing- lead in the crib's paint, chemicals in a baby's garments, diapers, and creams, and lately, as I read more about it, preventing SIDS. I read that crib bedding has been tied to some precious little babies suffocating, so I already decided against any (crib bedding usually includes a blanket, a bumper, a pillow- all three of which are suffocation risks- and a crib skirt, which I don't feel is necessary, just attractive). The best way for a baby to sleep is on a firm mattress, with a fitted crib sheet, and a safe blanket...and that is it.

From The American Academy Of Pediatrics:

SAFE BEDDING PRACTICES FOR INFANTS

♥ Place baby on his or her back on a firm tight-fitting mattress in a crib that meets current safety standards.
♥ Remove pillows, pillow-like bumper pads, quilts, comforters, sheepskins, stuffed toys, and other soft products from the crib.
♥ Consider using a sleeper or other sleep clothing as an alternative to blankets, with no other covering.
♥ If using a blanket, put baby with feet at the foot of the crib. Tuck a thin blanket around the crib mattress, reaching only as far as the baby's chest.
♥ Make sure your baby's head remains uncovered during sleep.
♥ Do not place baby on a water bed, sofa, soft mattress, pillow, or other soft surface.



I found a great company-Halo- that makes a SleepSack Wearable Blanket, as well as a SleepSack Swaddle. So far I have only tried one of their Wearable Blankets, which is made from fleece, and is a very cozy, warm product. It comes in various colors (a buttery yellow, a baby pink, and a soft blue, for example) as well as different prints, and is also available in regular and organic cotton. As the above photo shows, the baby actually wears it like a garmet so that it can not move around the crib and get caught up around the baby or cover its face at all. It zippers downward easily, for comfort and convenience (you can easily change the diaper without disrobing your baby) and is longish so a growing baby does not outgrow it quickly. It is a good alternative to a potentially hazardous, doesn't-stay-in-one-place, crib blanket.

I'm planning to look into some swaddling blankets next, as a baby does best swaddled in the very early months. Even though I find it adorable when little bunchkins startle themselves by their own movements, it's not funny for the poor wee things when it happens while they are sleeping! My mommy group and I also plan on looking into other safe crib bedding options, and will post great finds here for other moms who are also looking.

Comments

  1. I used the Halo Swaddle, it's a good product too if you want to try that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know crib bedding could be a hazard. I bought two sets to alternate, and they both have bumpers, blankets and pillows. This worries me :-/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Speaking as an EMT sometimes SIDS just happens it's very sad but kudos for taking every precaution to keep your baby safe and healthy : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you : )

    Wow firefighter, EMT and then a cop. Civil Servant must be in his blood lol

    Best Wishes : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. Those sleepblankets are absolutely invaluable!
    We purchased one, and then unfortunately our little guy suffered with reflux, so it frequently ended up in the washing machine. The night that we were unable to put him in the sleepblanket, he was much much more restless as he kept kicking the covers off.

    I highly recommend them!
    Well done you for researching all of the hazards. x

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks Kim...I'm researching everything regarding this- sleep positioners, safe sheets, etc. We can sleep easier if we know the baby is safe.

    Anastasia, some bedding sets are considered "safer", but still potentially a hazard. I feel it's better to be safe than sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Anonymous, I'm thinking of getting their swaddle, as I'm very happy with the sleeping blanket's quality and safety aspect.

    Married life, SIDS probably has many causes and is very sad, but the more I can do to hopefully prevent it...

    By the way, thanks for your expert opinion :) I appreciate it.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment