Lady Susan


I read Lady Susan (a novel of letters) by Jane Austen...what a biting, sensational story! Austen's talent is immeasurable. Through a series of letters written by the main characters involved in this story, a story develops that is both shocking and suspenseful, with a different sort of happy ending than is usual in Austen's novels. The characters are revealed by what is written by and about each person, and some parts are rather heartbreaking, but I recommend this final of Austen's novels. I hope to see it adapted into a film one day...what a soap opera of fun it would be!

Comments

  1. I love all of Jane Austen's work, especially this one! Your description of it is accurate.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so want to read this one! It is, now that I have finished Mansfield Park, the only book of hers I have not had the pleasure of digesting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is one of her better novels, and very different from the rest in its style (a series of letters). It's really good! (PP is still my favorite)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kina, you will enjoy it. It actually is suspenseful (in a romantic drama sense).

    Amanda, I love PP too, but I also loved Emma, SS, and Persuasion. It's hard for me to pick a favorite!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've read and reread all her novels. This one is really good. I wish she had written even more.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment