Lent


Easter for Orthodox Christians this year is April 19th, seven and a half weeks away. Each year for Lent I give up eating meat, which is super easy- I love fruits and veggies and pasta so I never really feel a loss (not to mention fasting from meat is a requirement of Lent in my religion...no meat allowed until Easter Day).

I always try to give up a second thing, something that is actually a sacrifice, and this year I decided on coffee. This may not sound like much of a sacrifice, but for someone like me that drinks several strong caffeinated drinks a day (espressos, greek coffee, cappuccinos, etc) this will be quite difficult. The last time I attempted it was for a New Year's resolution about seven or eight years ago, and succeeded for about eight months. I went to a party that was serving delicious specialty coffee and decided one cup could not hurt, and next thing I knew, I was back up to my three drinks a day routine.

At that time, too, I recall being very sleepy for the first week abstaining, throughout the entire day. I recall those headaches that said "Where is my caffeine?" I have a hard time waking up mornings, and look forward to my morning cup. For a week of my life I walked around very foggy, before the cobwebs started to clear away and I was able to get used to not needing a cup o'joe to start the day.

This year I'm starting the Great Coffee Challenge this coming Monday, and I expect to be very sleepy for the week after. I'm actually looking forward to it. I'd like to wake up mornings by jumping out of bed, excited to start the day, not groggily reaching for my coffee maker. I'd love to not have to panic because I'm running low on my favorite coffee, and the health benefits of cutting out caffeine and sugar are enormous (except for tea, I don't take sugar in anything but coffee).

My husband said he will be supportive if I can't wake up early for a while, as I get used to it (he is so sweet). He plans to make his own simple breakfast (cold cereal and milk) and coffee for the time being, until I get into my new routine. I am really excited to do this, and Lent is a great time to give up bad habits or start difficult but good new ones that I may have been procrastinating on, as it's a time of sacrifice and self-reflection.

My husband is not looking forward to fasting from meat though!

Comments

  1. Penelope, what a lovely post! And what a help it is for me today!

    I have friends in the Eastern Rite Churches who also do a full fast from meat (and some of them also from dairy) for the entire of Lent; others on Wednesdays and Fridays - It is a discipline I greatly admire.

    We're into Lent - I did okay fasting on Wednesday, as required (small bit of food permitted for us in Latin Rite, and I used mine when I took my vitamins and meds for the day) - and I haven't decided what my discipline will be! I've eaten very little meat so far, except at a friend's house, where it seemed rude to refuse -

    Growing up in a church that didn't recognize the liturgical disciplines, it's hard to pick up - but I love it. And I love the deep meanings behind the sacrifices - not just a personal mortification (I blogged about that a few months ago) but also a sharing in Christ's sufferings to a small degree. We need more of that, I believe.

    I wish you a joyful Lent and assure you you will be in my prayers. This is the season the Enemy resents, and he seems to be busy making mischief this time of year...

    God bless you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment