New Year's Resolutions 2009



Every year in January I make a list of New Year's Resolutions. I come up with things I'd like to change or improve about myself or my life, I narrow it down to three things, and I get to work. I have a very good track record...in the past I've resolved to start drinking lots of water every day and stop drinking sodas, to start eating organically, to give up watching TV, to keep a neat and cozy home, and more. If I don't keep a particular resolution, I tend to try it again the following year until it sticks.

I am now thinking about this year's resolutions. I've been thinking about what aspects of my life I could be happier with, and I realized I would like spend more time with friends. This is actually such an important goal for me, that this year it's my only resolution. I've been declining coffee dates with friends, get togethers, lots of social events (because I'm busy, tired, not in the mood, or just plain feeling lazy) and I can feel the difference in my life...I feel like I'm missing something. So for 2009, I resolve to engage in one social action a week with others...whether it's to invite another couple out for coffee with my husband and I, or to have a lunch date with a friend, or to go shopping with my mom, or invite my grandmother over for tea and to teach me another of her great recipes.


Just for fun, I am listing the Top Ten New Year Resolutions most people tend to make:

1. Spend more time with family and friends

2. Get into shape or lose weight

3. Quit Smoking

4. Enjoy life more

5. Get out of debt

6. Get a better job

7. Become organized

8. Help others more

9. Drink less

10. Go back to school

(and how about ten great ideas for New Year's Resolutions you may not have thought of?):

1. Accept others as they are (and appreciate them)

2. Learn to garden (maybe even a small herb garden in your kitchen to start)

3. Each month, clear out your clutter and donate the good stuff to appropriate charities (cell phones to women's shelters, furniture to Goodwill, clothes to the Salvation Army, etc.)

4. Try a new recipe each week (and try recipes from different parts of the world)

5. Learn a new skill...maybe learn to drive a stick shift, play tennis, or swim?

6. Adopt a charity (even if you don't have time to help others, send them a small check once a month for a year)

7. Go green...conserve water, gas, walk more instead of driving to nearby locations, buy locally.

8. Create family rituals...if you don't already, how about getting into the habit of having dinner together as a family, and spending one day a week together as a family (maybe Sundays? You can go to church together in the morning, have breakfast together afterwards, then spend the rest of the day doing fun activities together.)

9. Stop procrastinating. Pick a day each week or once a month to dedicate solely to doing the things you keep putting off (one month you might focus on spring cleaning, another month you may catch up on all your correspondence, another month you might finally clean out your garage or organize your financial papers, and so on)

10. Count your blessings. I always liked this one. When things are going well in 2009, remember to be grateful. When things are going not so well, focus on the positive and accept that in every life, a little rain must fall. And always remember the good things in your life, that are often taken for granted, whether it be that you have great health, or happy children, or a good marriage, or a beautiful home in a safe neighborhood with lovely neighbors, or supportive parents, or a steady job, or any of the thousands of things that many other people out there wish they could have right now, but many of us take for granted. We are all very lucky in different ways.

Comments

  1. Penelope, I wish the very best for you in 2009! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy New Year, Tracy!
    I love your recommendations. One of mine is to spend more time working for the cause of Life. Another is to spend more time cultivating better balance between my alone-time (too much) and time spent in quality time with loved ones (social/ministry time)

    Blessings to you and yours!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Glad you're back! And that's a good resaolution, important and FUN!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment