Mansfield Park

I finished reading this Jane Austen novel this week, and watched a version of it starring Frances O'Connor. I am very glad I read the novel first, because this movie was entirely altered and inaccurate (I do not recommend it at all), and not in the least something Austen herself would have likely approved of. I will not go into the details of what was wrong with the movie (it's too extensive, it will take pages, and after watching the movie I discovered it was poorly reviewed in general and many have already pointed out all the errors).

Overall, the plot was significantly altered, the heroine was changed in personality very much, key characters were either given totally different personalities (the father's and elder son's morals were entirely switched with each other, not sure why) or removed altogether, political plots that were never in the novel were added in and dominated the theme of the movie, and in general I wondered why they did not make it into a movie on its own, instead of claiming it to be a rendition of an Austen novel.

The novel itself was good. It is very long, involved, with many characters and plot lines (the sort of story I like) that all reached their own boiling points and resolutions. It is a satire and very witty, and the heroine is sort of a viewer of events unfolding around her (as opposed to very involved in the plots of the story) because of her "lesser" position in the family she is brought up in. She has strong character with a feminine sensibility, which wins the love of many by the end of the novel, and there is a flavor of soap opera to the whole story that is entertaining, even though it is a believable plot. I am currently searching for a good movie rendition to recommend for anyone who does not want to read this novel (if anyone has a recommendation, I would greatly appreciate it).

A terrific Jane Austen site for more information on this gifted author.

Comments

  1. I've only read one Austen novel, I should pick this one up.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have only seen the movie but I cannot remember which one. It was on Masterpiece Classics last winter. You've inspired me to read the novel because now I wonder what I might have missed. A really long term goal is to read all of her novels, eventually!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Is this the version that contrives the whole Bermudan slave thing? I HATED that!

    Have you noticed that Mansfield Park is also the only Austen novel that directly deals with religion? I thought that was interesting, since Miss Austen was a minister's daughter and, by all accounts, very sincere in her religious beliefs and practice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello! I don't remember exactly how I stumbled upon your blog. I think it was a link on the blog of a friend of a friend. Anyway, excuse my intruding, but Mansfield Park is my favorite Austin book. It's been a while, but I think I remember enjoying the BBC version of the movie that came out in 1983. It was originally a TV miniseries, but I think you can find it on DVD now.

    All the best,
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Laura, this is the same version. I did not appreciate what should have been a fun soap opera of romances being turned into a dark movie complete with nudity and hints of lesbianism. Very tacky. A Jane Austen fan would have expected something else.

    I notice in many of her novels, there is a close tie to the parsonage. In Northanger Abbey, the heroine is a daughter of a clergyman and marries a clergyman (religion is discussed in this novel).

    In Emma, a clergyman attempts to court Emma. In PP, Lizzy is pursued be her clergyman cousin, who is rather a hypocrite in his beliefs.

    Melissa, thank you for that tip...I'll look for that version.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Penelope,
    I just found it interesting that, in light of what you point out, Mansfield Park is the only novel in which religious faith and morals are discussed by the characters. It seems that in her other novels, the matters are a given; but with Mansfield Parks' cast of characters, and the moral conflict that will arise between Edmund Bertram and Mary Crawford, the topic receives more direct, overt attention.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment