Feminine Inspiration

Sara posted a comment questioning my sources for my information on femininity. I am happy to share that my inspiration is a series of pamphlets called The Secrets of Fascinating Womanhood, written in 1922 by author unknown, and available on-line for free.

These pamphlets have inspired me, as well as many others, including the author of Fascinating Womanhood (Helen Andelin) who used these pamphlets to write her own books (though she is not the originator of these writings and concepts, she expands on some aspects of them somewhat in her two books for married and single women, and otherwise has copied the pamphlets almost word for word in most parts).

These pamphlets are a rich resource of lovely, feminine information offered in a way I have found no where else, and I would encourage anyone interested in further study to read them.

I will continue to study them, as I have for years, and offer my own interpretation of them in my blog. I hope anyone who chooses to peruse them enjoys them as much as I do.

Read more posts about Beauty and Femininity

Comments

  1. Hello Penelope,

    That is a great book and has a lot of wisdom - I'm with you on this :-)

    M xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Interesting series - takes some navigating to read - not as simple as it appears on the surface, but worth the effort. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Getting deeper into the series, and I feel compelled to point out that a significant portion of Andelin's book is lifted verbatum from this source, and not attributed. I'm really, really disappointed to discover this, because I've been such an avid reader and have recommended the book to more women than I can count.

    As old as this series it, it's public domain now, so she's likely not breaking laws - but it would be more gracious if she'd handled her "borrowing" differently - either giving a more ready attribution or being more careful not to plagiarize it so blatantly.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment