Uh-oh, It's happened...I'm Old

I was shopping for a new pair of jeans at the GAP recently and checking myself out in their 3-way mirror. I was trying on their new sexy dark wash, boot-cut jeans, and checking out how I look from behind, when a young man (about 22 or so) wearing a Starbucks uniform passed and said "Wow, you look great!" I felt pretty good for a woman who had a baby about six months ago. Then he continued, "I'd ask you out but I think I'm too young".

People always thought I looked younger than I was. When I was 18 people thought I was in junior high school. When I was 25, I would often be asked in the spring if I was looking forward to my prom. When did I go from looking a lot younger than my age, to...not looking younger? I have no idea how old I look, but a man in his early- to mid-20's thinks I'm too old. What happened to those years in between? I looked too young at an age kids want to look older, and now I look my age at an age where women want to look younger? I missed the middle part!

Of course I wasn't interested in dating this man. I'm happily married, and little man was behind the fitting room door when Younger Guy passed by. I'm not even sure why this young man assumed I was available, or that I would be interested in dating him (rather presumptuous) but I was so caught off guard by him basically telling me I look older that I didn't think about that part until later.

I don't look 16 anymore, or 19, maybe not even 25. I'm only 32 and always loved looking younger when no one else my age did (and they didn't believe I liked it either- who wants to look 12 when they are 18?), because I saw myself always looking extremely young, never needing a facelift, and aging fabulously. How did this happen? Next thing you know, 20-somethings will start calling me ma'am. I feel like breaking out the Oil of Olay (do they still make that stuff?) or Clinique's Dramatically Different Moisturizing lotion (my mom's favorite) and slathering it on as I type.

My only consolation is that I'm mistaken, and he was actually 19 and looked a lot older (after all, he works at Starbucks and shops at the GAP). And if he is a teen who looks older, then take THAT, you presumptuous little twerp, because I wouldn't have dated you if I was 19 (or 23, or 32).

Comments

  1. heh, boys say the stupidest things sometimes. I am sure that he was trying to pay you a compliment, he did say you look great.. then he ruined it. lol.
    Punk!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is nice that he thought you looked like a great date. He doesn't sound mature enough for you yet. If you were available.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lol! Don't worry, you're happily married and it's how you and your honey feel that counts. :) I'd rather be loved by one man forever than by all the men in the universe, and I'd rather look 60 and feel 20 than look 20 and feel 60. Haha!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Leave it to a guy to ruin a great compliment.... I feel the same way, I have always looked so much younger, and for quite some time, it was horrible to look SO young. Then I went thru a phase where I was able to enjoy it. Last, the look gave up on me. I look my age now. It's alright. I have grown to love it just as much!

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL that is so funny. I've had that happen at work and it always happens so fast I can never say, "I'm old enough to be your mother so take that!" L.Howerter (above) is probably right, him being a guy, was probably trying to pay you a compliment and as with most guys, they just don't know how to deliver the line properly! I'd go with that!

    ReplyDelete
  6. It reminds me of a post I recently read on another blog, of a woman whose husband (while being intimate with her) told her about seeing another woman's boobs...some men are just clueless.

    ReplyDelete
  7. A lot of young guys just trip up on compliments.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think it was still a compliment in a weird kind of way! Probably a presumptuous little twerp who wishes he was in your league ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. :)

    I'll chalk it up to not having learned how to give a compliment.

    LFH, I can't ever access your site...can you email me a link to your blog? I have wanted to visit you (and I love the poem you wrote once for my son).

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment