Kindle eReader- Review


I recently had the opportunity to review the Kindle, and I can't believe how cool these little gadgets are. For anyone who doesn't know, Kindles are eReaders, portable electronic devices that download and store digital books. You can download books and read them anywhere you go, without having to actually carry lots of heavy books. Your entire home library can now fit in a thin, little, carry-anywhere device that is incredibly lightweight and easy to use. Is anyone else astounded by these things?

The Kindle has a mini-keypad, basic scrolling buttons, a 3.5 x 4.5 inch screen, and a 5-way button that works as a mouse. It is easy to navigate the features, and comes ready to use. My Kindle opened up with a personalized welcome letter, and while there are instructions for use, it's so clearly labeled and uncomplicated that you can start using it before you read them.

The first book I downloaded is Wordpress for Dummies, and I found it surprisingly easy to navigate the Table of Contents, move page to page, bookmark pages, and more. You can read the display in any light you can read a book in, and it looks just like the pages of a book, in grayscale. I thought I found a flaw, because I like to take notes in the margins of books as I read, and how can you doodle notes on an eReader? Well, you can, because some of the features of the Kindle include a highlighter and notetaker.

Kindle
More great features of the Kindleereader:
♥ Compact and lightweight at about 1/3 inch thick and 10 ounces
♥ 3G Wireless allows you to shop wirelessly and download a new book in less than one minute
♥ Stores up to 1,500 books
♥ A single battery recharge lasts up to weeks with wireless turned off
♥ Instant dictionary look-up- if you want to look up the definition of a word, hover over it with the cursor and read the definition at the bottom of the page
♥ Experimental text to speach feature permits Kindle to read many books and newspapers out loud to you!
♥ Six sizes in text available for your reading comfort
♥ You are permitted to try out a newspaper with a 14 day free trial, or download a sample of a book, before you purchase either

Kindle eReaders would make terrific gifts for for Father's Day, for your dad, husband, brother. They would also make great gifts for yourself, a graduate, your mom, etc. Anyone who loves to read. Newspapers and magazines can also be read on the Kindle, and even text books, making this a perfect gift for students. I was able to read the lightweight Kindle while eating, while holding my sleeping son, while feeding him, while waiting on line at a store.

This would also be a good idea for travelling- imagine how easy it would be to take a flight with an eReader and all your favorite books downloaded onto it. These are awesome!

Comments

  1. Ooooh! I would love to review ANY e-reader. I love reading!

    I am so excited to see your review.

    And I also love those Dummy books. I use them for everything!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sure would lighten up the load in my travel bag, since I generally have at least 4 books and 4 magazines, plus a puzzle book in there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have the kindle 2 and I love it. It is much faster than the nook. Not sure about the new Sony one though. Should be good, it has a larger touch screen than the nook.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Got my hubby a Kindle for Christmas this past year, and he LOVES it!! He still raves about it all the time, and he reads a lot more since he got...though he already read a lot. But it makes it so much easier to take a book with him and have something to read while he's waiting for an appointment or something, and is so much lighter and easier to read in bed. Definitely one of the best purchases I've ever made, and worth every penny!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It sounds wonderful! I could never totally replace my paper books though- you just can't beat the smell of a fresh new book and the feel of the crisp new pages in your fingers. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nina, I took a quick peek at the Nook (and I prefer this one).

    ReplyDelete
  7. Lady, I am the same way! I bring lots of magazines and books, and I have a million dog-eared books at home. I haven't tried any of the other readers yet (there is a Kobo and Alex) so I can't compare those yet, but the Kindle is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Momstart, I didn't know Sony made one too...these are the newest thing, and they are so cool! I can't believe how easy it is to use the Kindle.

    Heather, I'm with your husband!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment